Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mommy brain

I've got a lot on my plate right now - baby boy, slightly bigger baby girl, busy husband, brother's wedding, wrapping up my post doc, learning to be a stay-at-home-mom without breaking the bank, keeping everyone updated on all that, and a lot of other things that I can't remember. I've heard that it's normal to suffer from pregnancy brain followed by mommy brain, and I think I've got it bad. Based on my experience, I theorize that each child takes roughly 25% of your brain capacity. So I'm down to 75% of 75%, or 56.25%.

I posted my theory on FB earlier and immediately got questions of what that would mean for people who had 12 kids or what about Michelle Duggar? Well, a mom of 12 (like my great grandmother) would have about 3% of her brain left, Michelle is down to about 0.4%. Now this speaks to the great intelligence of moms of so many children. I mean if Michelle can still function to come up with another "J" name with only 0.4% of her brain left, she must have been a super genius in the beginning.

A follow up question was whether my theory implied that the first child would necessarily be smarter than any subsequent children. I think this plays out on a individual basis. In my case, I think Chaselyn took a lot of my book smarts. Which is why she likes to sit and read and isn't fooled when her Daddy and I try to hide things from her by putting them behind our backs. Jacob seems to have taken my ability to stay on task and think about 2 things at once. So, I think these two kids are both going to be smart in their own right. Again, as I posted on FB, I just feel extremely sorry for any future child who takes the useless information portion of my brain that had me singing "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" this morning. (I couldn't decide if happy to only know a few bars of the chorus because it's an awful song or if i was upset that I could only repeat these few things over and over again.)

But I don't really miss my brain too much. I mean I'm still functioning and I'm lerning to better utilize lists to keep everythign straight. And on the upside though Mommy brain takes a little piece of you. You get back so much in return. My brain has shrunk, but when each child was born, my heart grew three sizes that day. Emotionally, spiritually, and _______ (Mommy brain prevents me from coming up with a '-ally' word that conveys maturity), I've grown so much with each child. Just look at these adorable kids, any brain loss is totally worth it.





No comments:

Post a Comment