Monday, October 26, 2009

Cute for baby, not for grown-ups

Chaselyn wore some adorable little black Mooshu squeaker shoes to church on Sunday, which spurred the FB status update of a friend to say "I feel like some friends of mine's 11 month old baby, my shoes squeak too much!" on a very rainy Monday. This made me literally laugh out loud (and no, I don't use the 3 letter abbreviation, because I used to, and then found that maybe I lead people to think that they were way funnier than they actually were, and stopped. Anyway, I digress...)! It then turned into a comment of the many things that are cute for babies and little ones (i.e. squeaky shoes), that are not so cute on adults. So, here's the list that I've come up with so far:

1) Fat, juicy thigh rolls. I don't know the defining age, but at some point, you are apparently supposed to lose your "baby fat".

2) Along the same lines, Allison
suggests that "a pot belly with a cute little bikini" - Totally adorable on a baby. Not so much for us older folks.

3) Dancing by slightly bending one's legs and swinging a single arm like a drunk Irishman.

4) Falling asleep in any random position at any random time and place. Some favorites that I've seen through various friends - shopping carts, super-loud sporting events, at the table (face down in mashed potatos of course), and curled up in some tiny cabinet or tiny space in a room.

5) Responding to questions with a raspberry or a vigorous shake of the head. (I think the cuteness on this one wears off pretty quick once they know what they are doing.)

6) Shouting things like "I went potty!" or a personal favorite "I peed on a leaf!"

7) Hiding bashfully behind another person when you're not sure about the people around you.

8) The honest statements about so many things. "What's wrong with her hair?", "Why is Daddy so hairy?", or "Why does she have a booger on her back?" (The last one was said by a ~4 year old girl at Target after seeing a mole on my back.)

9) Walking around seemingly aimlessly babbling nonsense. I think they put adults in the home for that.

10) Large open mouthed drooly kisses. Makes my heart happy when Chaselyn does it, but I think I'd have to decline from anyone else.

So that's my list. I know there's so much more. It's such a double standard. Sometimes for good reason, and sometimes due to the loss of innocence as we grow up. One thing is for sure, it's much harder to pull off cute when you're older. And yet how many babies have you seen that don't just make you want to pinch their little cheeks cause they're so darn adorable?

2 comments:

  1. The same goes for eating cake (or any food for that matter) by the fistful! Or eating spaghetti and getting it all over your face. Now that we're grown we're expected to use utensils and napkins. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, this was cute. And I am TOTALLY guilty of number 3. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete