Monday, February 28, 2011

Not Valentine's Day

For many February 14th is a day filled with candy, roses, stuffed animals, fancy dinners, or at least a card and a favorite meal prepared. Our Valentine's Day was not quite that. There were some cards. Chaselyn made a cute little card for her Daddy. And there was one very special princess balloon for a certain little girl and a cute little stuffed puppy dog for Jacob. We called the grandparents to tell them we love them. The call was interrupted by our lovely dog getting caught up in the aforementioned balloon and popping it off the string. And eventually, Daddy came home and we had chili dogs for dinner.

But, I wouldn't have it any other way. Stanton and I aren't the gifting, romantic couple. We're the madly in love, goofy couple. We're the ones who love a nice steak dinner on February 16th, a weekend treat of using our smoker for the first time, and delicious leftovers for a week rather than dropping the same amount of money for a single plate at a nice restaurant. We're the ones who would like to sit on the couch and play video games more than getting all dressed up to go to the fanciest restaurant. We're the ones who would rather take our kids to the park than have a quiet evening alone. We're the ones who know that a cabinet full of clean dishes is much preferred over a little stuffed animal. We're the ones who like candy all the time.

We're the we I never could have imagined. And it is simply amazing. I take it for granted sometimes. I push Stanton farther than I should. I pull away more often than I should. I am not the perfect woman by a long shot, but he loves me. And I am thankful that he puts up with me. He is the one for me. He makes me better. He makes me want to be better. He makes me fall in love over and over again with the way he plays with our kids and makes silly jokes.

So, to my boyfriend of 14 years, I love you! And I'm thankful that we are THAT couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment