Wednesday, June 8, 2011

brain cancer

it all started on sunday when i nearly shut my foot in the car door. by sunday night i admitted that i needed to go to the doctor (a big deal for me) because my right side was being lazy. i called and set up an appointment for tuesday because monday i had the kids. early in the morning on tuesday, i was taking care of the boy and he was fussing so much that he even woke stanton up. stanton noticed my arm was limp and i was just not myself. he got worried and the next thing i know i was getting dressed to go to the ER.

At about 6:15 i walked into the emergency room. i talked with the er doctor told him my symptoms and he thought it would be a good idea to do a ct scan. i don't remember how the timing all worked out, but it seemed like the diagnosis was quick. the ER doctor came in to tell me that the CT scan was abnormal and it looked like cancer. the doctor was visibly shaken. and we were too. i cried but not for long. after having my mom diagnosed with breast cancer in august, i just wanted a plan of attack. i also found strength in knowing that God has a plan and He is in control of everything. He gave me brain cancer. He can heal me. But above all I know that He has a plan for me and my family. And we will be richer for having gone through these trials.

before too long i was inundated with a team of doctors , including a brain surgeon. i was loopy on the drugs, so i remember asking stanton to call everyone and being wheeled down for an MRI. then being woken up for another meeting with the doctors. it's all kind of a blur. next thing i know i was waiting for a brain biopsy. even writing that gives me the willies, but at the time i was surprisingly calm. again the peace that i felt was just amazing.

the next couple of days were kind of hazy. i remember all the visitors that showed up. true friends are so amazing! i'll have to have stanton post all the details, but eventually on thursday we were in an ambulance on our way to UT Southwestern for an anticipated surgery. again i was unusually calm. but once we got there the doctors said to us that they couldn't safely do the surgery. i can't imagine the range of emotions that my support team was feeling. but, by being at zale lipschy hospital on the UT Southwestern campus we were exposed to top tier medical professionals.

 i have decided to just put my caringbridge link. it has the whole story layed out better than i could ever remember and more specifics than i know.

now, with that all out of the way, i hope to blog about my days. how i'm feeling, and what my new normal is.

thank you to everyone who has loved on me and lifted me up in prayer.


  1. Love you so much B. Thank you for reaching out. I love reading your words. =)

  2. Brandi, I love you so much and have been thinking and praying for you everyday! Please let me know if there is ANYTHING we can do for you...ANYTHING! I anxiously await details about your treatment and amazing recovery!

    All my love, dear friend.


  3. Brandi, we've got many people praying for you here in Memphis! We love you and your sweet family!